About the Whodunit Book Club

Whodunit Book Club has met in its present location for almost seventeen years! If you would like to join us, our meetings are held on the last Tuesday of every month (except December).
We meet at the Chapters Store located at 41 MicMac Blvd., Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Phone (902) 466-1640

Monday, December 3, 2007

Short stories vs. novels


In my own personal library, I have several short story anthologies. Some of my favorites being: "The best British mysteries", "The Mysterious Press anniversary anthology", "Ellery Queen's mystery magazine: the first 50 years".
Do you enjoy reading mystery fiction in a short story format?
How does your enjoyment of these stories differ from your enjoyment of reading a full length novel?
Do you think short story authors have to be more or less 'skilled' than novel writers?
They have less time to develop their idea and they have to grab your attention immediately and hold it. Some authors can master both formats, but some excel at one or the other.
Do you have any anthologies that you remember as being particularly good? I'd love to hear your recommendations! What is your favorite mystery or suspense short story?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love short stories! I tend to collect mystery anthologies and buy the monthly mystery magazines that have short stories in them. I particularly like Ellery Queen. I think it definitely takes a certain skill set to turn out a short story. Some authors do manage to do both, but others put out very forgettable short story collections when they should have stuck to the longer format. My favourite short story anthologies are Twisted by Jeffrey Deaver and Nightshift by Stephen King. Jeffrey Deaver also has a new anthology called More Twisted, but I haven't read that one yet. The short story that has stuck with me over the years is one by Stephen King in his Nightshift collection. I still remember how all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I read the story! I know it's not a mystery anthology, but it was one of the most memorable ones that I've read.