About the Whodunit Book Club

Whodunit Book Club has met in its present location for almost seventeen years! If you would like to join us, our meetings are held on the last Tuesday of every month (except December).
We meet at the Chapters Store located at 41 MicMac Blvd., Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Phone (902) 466-1640

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"So many books, so little time"


A Whodunit member made a comment which I would like to explore further.
She said, "I read the first line of the book and it just grabbed me."
Alternately a co-worker of mine usually reads the first paragraph. From this she decides whether or not this is a book for her.
I usually do not read any of the text before choosing a book.
I do however read the back cover and/or the jacket 'blurb'. That combined with the jacket itself are often instrumental in my choice.
Once I am familiar with an author and know that I like him or her, then I need no further enticement. The author's name alone will make the choice for me.

"So many books, so little time"
How do you choose your next title?
Is it the first line, the first paragraph, the first page?

No comments: